Are you a Nigerian looking to see how to start earning money online through the Amazon affiliate program? This article is a step-by-step guide on how to start Amazon affiliate marketing in Nigeria.
We all know Amazon is an online marketplace that sells almost any physical item you can think of. It also can publish any book and make it available to be sold worldwide in both digital and physical formats.
Such a huge and well-known marketplace offers a program where people can earn through their Amazon affiliate program.
Those of us in Nigeria can participate too.
Before we go ahead, let’s take a good look at what Amazon Affiliate Program is.
What is the Amazon Affiliate Program?
The Amazon Affiliate program, or Amazon Associates, is an affiliate marketing program. Amazon Associates is a free program for bloggers and website owners to earn by promoting products from Amazon.com with their affiliate links. When customers click these affiliate links and buy products from Amazon, the affiliate earns some income.
New to this concept of affiliate marketing? Let me elaborate further.
What is affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a business model where an online merchant gives people who have websites with decent traffic or those with huge social followings in any popular social channel the ability to create unique product links (called affiliate links).
These website owners must promote the link. In return, the website owner receives affiliate commission every time someone clicks on the link and makes a purchase. Affiliates only earn money if the link is used in any transaction.
Affiliate marketing works best if you have a blog or website that you can recommend the products you want to promote.
Rules For The Amazon Affiliate Program
Amazon affiliate program are a great way for you to make extra income or monetize your blog. However, Amazon has specific guidelines that every Amazon associate in Nigeria and all around the world must follow. It’s important to learn these before you jump in as you could be banned from the program if you don’t comply.
Most of the rules are designed to promote ethical behavior and prevent associates from playing the system. These are the most important ones to remember:
- Your site and message must clearly disclose that you might be eligible for compensation from your product recommendations.
- Recommendations must not contain false or misleading claims.
- You should not use Amazon affiliate links for offline promotions or on eBooks, and email.
- You must not use a link shortening service in a manner that makes it unclear that you are linking to an Amazon Site.
You can read Amazon’s full policy here.
Is Amazon Affiliate Available in Nigeria?
Yes, registering for Amazon Affiliate in Nigeria is possible. Nigeria is one of the eligible countries that can apply for the Amazon Affiliate program. Every Nigerian Amazon Associate will earn whenever they are able to make referrals or sales according to Amazon Terms and Conditions.
3 Things You Will Need Before Your Apply For The Amazon Affiliate Program In Nigeria
- A blog or Affiliate Store for promoting Amazon products
- A US Phone Number for phone verification
- A Payoneer Account to collect your payment from Amazon.
I will show you how to go about, getting all that and making money with the Amazon affiliate program in Nigeria.
How to Create A Blog or Affiliate Store
To start a blog or an affiliate store, we recommend you use WordPress.
2 Essential Things to Consider Before You create a blog.
- Domain name: This refers to your web address like ideahub.com.ng
- Hosting: This is required to make your website go live and become accessible anywhere in the world.
Most hosting companies offer domain registration. In this instance, we will be using Interserver Hosting company to get our domain name and hosting.
How to get a domain name and hosting from Interserver
To get started, click on Interserver web hosting. The interface will look something like the one shown in the image. Click on “Buy Now”.
The page will take you to where you can register the domain name that you wish to use for your site.
PS: You will need to select another domain name if the domain name is unavailable or not registered.
Make sure to click “Yes” when you see “First-year domain registration $1.99”.
Next, click Continue.
Next, you’ll be taken to a page that will require you to sign up if this is your first time or log in if you have an existing account.
Enter your email address and password to sign up. Click on the “Create Account” button to continue.
This will take to you to a page that shows you are logged in. Click on “Continue”.
This will take you to a page that allows you to enter your contact information. Fill in the required contact details. It can accept customers from all over the world. Below is how I entered my name. Once you’re done, click on Continue.
Finally, you will reach the checkout page. Here you can see all the details about what you will pay.
You can renew your contract at – by calling the Billing Interval Line.
- $15 for 3 Months (quarterly)
- $5 per month (monthly).
- $28.50 for 6 Months and So On
Click on the arrow to the right of the Billing Interval line to see all the options.
You can pay $5 for WHOIS privacy, but I did not. You don’t need it right now, and you can always do it later if you wish.
Select the box under the “Agree to these terms” and select your payment method. You have the option to pay with Paypal or Credit Card.
Once you’re done, click on “Place Order”.
Once the payment has been successful, your account will be automatically launched.
How to Install Your Blog Platform – WordPress
Next, install your blogging platform to allow you to start blogging.
You might be interested to know that this process takes less than five minutes.
Once you have logged in, click the domain name link under the web hosting section. Below is an image.
This will open a new page. Scroll down and click on “Login to cPanel”. This will take to you to a different page of the website.
The best way to install WordPress for beginners is to use the Softaculous 1-click installation script in your cPanel. To do this, scroll down to the Softaculous Apps Installation section and click on the WordPress icon.
Clicking on the WordPress icon should take you to a page similar to the one below. To install WordPress, click on the ‘Install Now” button as shown in this image.
You will be taken to the next page. Here you will fill out important details.
These details are essential to building your website. Some are mandatory, while others can be done after WordPress has been installed.
- You will see the option to choose the version that you wish to install in the first section. It will automatically select the most recent version of WordPress for you.
- You need to be careful in the section titled “choose an installation URL” as it will have an impact on how your website address looks. First, you must choose https:// protocol. Interserver offers a free SSL, and your website should be recognized in this format.
- In the same section, click on choose domain to enter your domain name.
- If you have an ‘In Directory’ tag, remove the ‘wp” there.This place should be left empty..
In the section Site Settings:
- Enter your site name
- Type in your site description.
PSIt is not necessary to type in your website and description. You can change it in your dashboard whenever you publish your website.
- Do not check the box for ‘Enable Multisite’.
Next is setting up the admin account.
This is the most important stage of your WordPress website.
- You can create your admin username (you decide)
- Your admin password should be a combination of numbers and letters. It is important that your password is strong to prevent hackers from finding it.
- Enter your admin email. This could be Gmail, Yahoomail, or both.
- Leave English default as the default language in the Choose Language section.
You should ignore the section Select Plugins as it is not the best area to choose plugins. This can be done anytime from your WordPress dashboard. You can also ignore Advanced Options.
- You can choose from any of the themes, or you can ignore it completely. You can always select a theme from your WordPress dashboard later.
- Enter your email address to which Interserver will send you the installation details.
- Click the Install button.
Clicking Install will initiate the installation of your website using the settings that you have provided.
Once the installation is complete you will see the congratulatory screen below. It includes the URL that you will use for login to your WordPress admin Dashboard, as well as the URL of your website.
Customizing your Blog or Affiliate Store.
Here, you will customize your blog or Affiliate Store website. This includes adding a logo, changing the theme itself to suit what you want your site to be. If you want to build a blog, choose a suitable blog theme, if you want an affiliate store, choose an affiliate store theme.
To change your theme you can do it from Appearance>>Theme. Then search for the theme you want in the search bar or upload any theme you already have.
The theme you choose will determine the look of your blog.
To customize your Blog, go to Appearance>>Customize.
This will display the various Customize menu options to the left:
- Site identity– Here you can upload your logo, modify the site title and tagline, and upload the site icon.
- ColorsYou can modify the background, header, and footer colours of your blog, as well as the primary color.
- You have many options for themes: You can choose whether to display a search icon on the header of your blog or an author bio. Also, you can decide whether to show a complete post or a summary on archive pages.
- Template for Cover: You can have a fixed background, change the overlay background color and text color, or opacify your overlay.
- Background image: You can upload a background picture to your blog.
- Menus: You can add pages, posts, or custom links to your menu by creating a new menu. You can modify an existing menu or create a new one.
- Widgets: You can add widgets here to your blog’s sidebar and footer (locations dependent on your current theme).
- Setting up your homepage: This is where you can select whether you would like your homepage to display your latest blog posts or a static webpage.
- Additional CSS: Advanced option: This allows you to modify the appearance of your blog with your own CSS code.
To see how your blog looks on every device, you can toggle between desktop, tablet, and mobile modes.
Add plugins to your blog
Plugins are added to your blog to improve its performance and appearance.
Here is a list of plugins that I recommended for every WordPress website.
- WordFence: Protects your website from hackers and other malware attacks
- RankMath: This tool will help you generate sitemaps and optimize your blog posts to search engines.
- WP Total Cache: Increases the speed of your blog’s load time and speeds it up.
- Akismet: This is usually installed automatically. It protects your contact form and comments from spam.
- WPForms: This plugin allows you to easily add contact forms to any page, or to any other webpage.
- Site Kit: Google has created a plugin that will allow you to connect to Google Search Console, Google Analytics Pagespeed Insights, Google AdSense, and Google Analytics Pagespeed Insights.
- JetPack: A complete solution for blogs that allow users to track when their website is down, add security features, and analyze visitor behaviour (normally requires a WordPress.com Account).
Write content for your blog and promote it
Now that your blog is set up, the next thing is to start publishing posts. To publish posts on WordPress is easy, as long as you can use Google Docs or MS Word, you can publish posts on WordPress.
However, for every topic you want to write on, make sure you do proper keyword research on it as that will help you get traffic from search engines.
Simply go to Posts>>Add New to write your post and when you are done, hit on Publish.
Now that you have a blog with some published posts in it, go ahead and apply for the Amazon Affiliate program.
How do I become an Amazon affiliate in Nigeria?
To become an Amazon affiliate in Nigeria, take the following outlined steps:
Step 1: Sign Up To Create Your Amazon Affiliate Account
The first thing you need to do here is to sign up to apply for the Amazon Associates program. To do this, you will need to have an account with Amazon. But not to worry. Once you visit the Amazon Associates Homepage and Click on “Sign Up” as shown in the image above.
You’ll be prompted to sign in to your Amazon account with your normal Amazon customer login details, or create an account if you don’t have a pre-existing Amazon customer account.
Simply enter the email address and password you wish to use to create an Amazon Account and once signed in. Click on the Amazon Associate Homepage (if you’re not automatically redirected) to continue setting up your Amazon Associates Affiliate account.
Step 2: Enter your account information.
Fill in all the required information (including name, address, and phone number for the payee). You can use your Nigerian home address here.
However, bear in mind that you will need to verify your account with a US phone number. This is where many Nigerians freak out but I will show you a simple way to do that.
To get a US phone number from Nigeria that you can use to verify your Amazon account, go to Google play store and download the Text Plus App.
Create an account with them and upon completion, you will be given a free US phone number that you can use to verify your Amazon Associates account. Once verified, you can change your phone number to a Nigerian one later.
Step 3: Enter your website address.
Next, enter your website address(es), apps, Socia channels, etc. that you intend to use in promoting Amazon products.
It is worthy of note that a website or blog is more preferable even if you have a social channel with good following.
5. Enter Your Preferred Store ID
Your preferred store ID could be anything you want. Possibly the same name of your primary website and will be used to identify you.
Describe what your website is all about and what kind of products you wish to promote. Then select your primary and secondary topics.
Step 6: Traffic and Monetization section
In the traffic and monetization section, you can describe how you drive traffic to your websites. How you use your website or blog to generate income. How you build links. How many people visit your site each month. and why you want to join the Amazon affiliate program.
7. Select your preferred payment method
You can choose to enter your tax ID and payment information (credit card or bank account) now or later. Entering your preferred payment method as a Nigerian is very important.
Since Amazon pays via direct deposit to a US bank account, we will need to open a US bank account from Nigeria and Payoneer allows us to do just that.
How to Open a Payoneer Account In Nigeria
To open a Payoneer account in Nigeria, you need the following:
Below are the requirements to open a Payoneer account
- Your full name. It should be your legal name.
- Email address
- Your residential address with the correct zip code as this is where your Payoneer MasterCard will be sent to
- Date of birth
- Your contact details
- A government Issued ID
Once you have all that, take the following steps:
1. Visit the website
The first step to open a Payoneer account in Nigeria is to visit the website
2. Register now
Click the Register button on the website
3. Complete the registration form
Complete the registration form. Fill out the registration form accurately.
4. Confirm your email address
Your email address will need to be confirmed. Log in to your email account and click the Payoneer link.
This is it, your account has been created.
5. Order for Your Mastercard
To order for your Payoneer Mastercard:
- Login to your Payoneer account
- Click on Settings in the top menu.
- You will see the Payoneer cards when you click on settings. Click on It.
- Click on “Order Now” to go to the new page. Follow the instructions on the screen to submit your request once you have clicked on that.
How do Amazon Associates In Nigeria get paid for their work?
You need Payoneer. Amazon Associates are paid via direct deposit. The funds will be automatically deposited into your Payoneer US bank account.
You will find the details of your Payoneer US Bank account when you login to your payoneer account.
You can also opt to receive an Amazon gift certificate or a check via mail. Amazon affiliate program is one of the coolest ways to earn passive income online.
What time do Amazon Associates get paid for their services?
Amazon Associates are paid monthly. However, you will only be paid 60 days after the month ends. For example, you will get paid in March for the January commission.
What happens when a commission is officially assigned to Amazon Associates?
Amazon Associates earn commission only after the order has been shipped. You will not receive a commission if the customer cancels an order before it ships. Your earnings will be reduced if the customer returns the product.
Your account will be approved by Amazon Associates within 180 days of you applying. Your account will be closed if you do not make at least one sale during that period. It is important to plan your Amazon Affiliate efforts. After you have made any necessary adjustments to your website, you may reapply for Amazon Associate.